RE: What is Jane?

> From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
> MariusRomanus@aol.com
>
> I was looking at Jane from the Burpee Museum today... Anyone have an opinion
> as to what this animal is (or is not)? Granted, all that I see here is a
> little photo of the skull, but by the looks of it, the animal is very
> Albertosaurish.
>
> http://www.burpee.org/janegeneral.htm
>
> Any ideas?

Professional opinion about the taxonomic identity of Jane is split between
those who think it is the most complete Nanotyrannus
found so far, and those who think it is a juvenile T. rex (and hence the most
complete "Nanotyrannus" found so far...).

It is a great specimen, in any case!!

It's "albertosaurish" features are all symplesiomorphies.

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
        Mailing Address:
                Building 237, Room 1117