Re: Pronunciation Database

On Apr 6, 2005 8:02 AM, Jerry D. Harris <jharris@dixie.edu> wrote:
> so anyone who says "DIE-noh-NY-kuss" is wrong, period,
> even if it ruins a perfectly good rhyme with "MON-oh-NY-kus."

Sopronounce it mon-ON-ih-kus.;)

Incidentally, anyone really interested in pronunciation should look
into the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA; see
http://www.arts.gla.ac.uk/IPA/ipa.html)--English spelling "rules" are
probably about the most bizarre ones out there, and writing
pronunciations according to English "rules" can be a real challenge.

Using IPA-ASCII:
_Deinonychus_ (Ostrom's pronunciation [English]): /daj'nan.I,k@s/
_Deinonychus_ (Greek pronunciation [I think--could easily be wrong]):
/,dein.o'nyK.us/
_Diplodocidae_ (Naish pronunciation): /,dIp.low.d@'saj.dij/
_Diplodocidae_ (my pronunciation): /,dIp.l@'dowk.I.dij/ or /,dIp.l@'dowk.i.dej/
_Diplodocidae_ (linguistically "correct" [I think]): /,dip.lo'dok.i.dae/

--Mike Keesey