Re: Pronunciation Database

Quoting "T. Michael Keesey" <keesey@gmail.com>:

> On Apr 6, 2005 8:02 AM, Jerry D. Harris <jharris@dixie.edu> wrote:
> > so anyone who says "DIE-noh-NY-kuss" is wrong, period,
> > even if it ruins a perfectly good rhyme with "MON-oh-NY-kus."
>
> Sopronounce it mon-ON-ih-kus.;)
>
> Incidentally, anyone really interested in pronunciation should look
> into the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA; see
> http://www.arts.gla.ac.uk/IPA/ipa.html)--English spelling "rules" are
> probably about the most bizarre ones out there, and writing
> pronunciations according to English "rules" can be a real challenge.
>
> Using IPA-ASCII:
> _Deinonychus_ (Ostrom's pronunciation [English]): /daj'nan.I,k@s/
> _Deinonychus_ (Greek pronunciation [I think--could easily be wrong]):
> /,dein.o'nyK.us/

/de:'no.ny.khos/, where /y/ represents a high, front, rounded vowel (like German
ü) and /kh/ is an aspirated /k/.

> _Diplodocidae_ (Naish pronunciation): /,dIp.low.d@'saj.dij/
> _Diplodocidae_ (my pronunciation): /,dIp.l@'dowk.I.dij/ or
> /,dIp.l@'dowk.i.dej/
> _Diplodocidae_ (linguistically "correct" [I think]): /,dip.lo'dok.i.dae/

The graphic combination <ae> in Classical Latin corresponds to the diphthong
[aj].  The pronunciation in (Classical) Latin would, if I understand the
system, be /dI.plO'dO.kI.daj/, and in Classical Greek would be similar (though
maybe with tense /o/ and /i/ in the place of lax /O/ and /I/.

established English usage.  The position of the stressed in Latin is usually
maintained in words like this and so would go on the third-to-last syllable
(the antepenult).

I personally use /,dIp.l@'dows.I.dej/ or something similar, but that's just my
preference.  Linguists-in-training (at least in North America) pretty quickly
get terms like "correct" beaten out of them.

Nick Pharris
Ph.D. Candidate
Department of Linguistics
University of Michigan