Lessem's Lessons

The April issue of "Highlights," features "Dino" Don Lessem's answers to two questions from readers. One concerns the reptilian status of dinosaurs. Dino Don comes out on the side of the debate which asserts that no, dinosaurs are not reptiles, but are a separate group of animals. (I would disagree with this position).

In a question about dragons and dinosaur bones, Dino Don explains that the Chinese name, "kong long" means both "dragon" and "dinosaur." Funny, I thought that "long" meant dragon, and "kong long," meant terrible dragon, or dinosaur.

Oh, well, nobody's perfect.

On the other hand, be sure you don't miss "Dinosaur Dynasty: Discoveries from China," opening at the Field Museum in Chicago on May 27, 2005. This exhibition was produced by DinoDon, Inc., in cooperation with Beringia Ltd. and the Inner Mongolian Museum.

--------
"Dino Guy" Ralph W. Miller III
proud member of the Society of Vertebrate Paleontology

(Sorry, Brian).