Re: Hummingbird -- the littlest dinosaur!

On Apr 8, 2005 8:31 AM, David Marjanovic <david.marjanovic@gmx.at> wrote:
> All "mammal-like reptiles", even *Dimetrodon* and
> *Varanops*, stop being reptiles (once I've even seen the term "reptile-like
> synapsids"!)

Hmmm, that ignores the fact that reptiles (sensu Gauthier 1984) have
their own derived features. "Nonmammalian synapsid" is much better,
although still kind of wordy (not that "mammal-like reptile"
isn't....)

> Personally I don't see why Reptilia should get a phylogenetic definition at
> all. We already have the venerable old name Sauropsida for almost exactly
> the same clade.

And if turtles are lepidosauromorphs or archosauromorphs, then
_Reptilia_ sensu Gauthier becomes exactly the same clade as _Sauria_
(within _Sauropsida_).

--Mike Keesey