Re: ptero embryo ID

david peters (davidrpeters@earthlink.net) wrote:

<www.pterosaurinfo.com/haopterid_egg.html

The big difference is the embryo does not have the rotated scapulae that
characterizes Haopterus and all higher ornithocheirids. It also has relatively
larger feet and a shorter tibia, as in ancestral scaphognathids.>

  You'd expect a lot of anatomical development and change between embryo and
adult. BTW, the determination of the original ptero embryo as an anurognathid
was, to my knowledge, predicated on the hypothesis that it was an _adult_.
Determining familial or generic status of emrbyos requires more concise data
that that which was presented. For example, one of the reasons the second egg
was referred to *Pterodaustro* was because of it's provenance and proximity to
many other pterodaustros and apparent nest structure.

  I am going to renew my argument about lambeosaurine juveniles and their
ambiguous taxonomic affinities without nest-structure and growth-series within
an area to provide data on which juveniles belonged to which adults (and the
case is still out on some of them).

  Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden