Re: on being a paleontologist

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 10:46:08 -0700 (PDT) Ian Paulsen
<birdbooker@zipcon.net> writes:
> HI:
>  One question I have wondered about recently about being a
> paleontologist
> is doesn't it get depressing after awhile? After all you are
> studying
> species that for the most part are no longer around! Isn't dealing
> with
> extinction/ extinct species depressing?

Ian,
It's not the extinct things that are depressing you.  It's the changing
season, tax time, and spring cleaning that are getting you down.  Here's
something to cheer you up:

LIVING FOSSILS

Living fossils
Are amazingly neat.
Ginkgos, Mickey Rooney:
A Cenozoic treat.

Long-term survival
is awesome to view.
_Lingula_,, Cycads, Joan Rivers too.

Are they permineralized?
No, not even an iota,
(With the possible exception of Abe Vigota)

Formaldehyde, alcohol, Vinac, or spackle.
Deciding who gets what
Is a tough job to tackle.

<pb>