Re: Know anything about an Elkhorn supervolcano and dinosaurs, charred forests in Montana?

There is an Elkhorn Batholith and associated Elkhorn volcanics in
Montana, near the present town of Butte.  The whole complex is Cretaceous
in age, but I can't give a more specific time range.
If memory serves, an old classmate of mine did his masters thesis on the
Elkhorn complex.  Eric Krogstad was his name (and it probably still is).
WWU has their library online.  Go to http://www.wwu.edu and then go to
the library page.  You should be able to find Eric's thesis listed in
their card catalog.

The problem is that the placename "Elkhorn" is ubiquitous in the western
U.S.  There are literally hundreds of things with "Elkhorn" in their
name.

<pb>