Re: Paired Eggs in a Dinosaur Indicate Biological Sex

On 4/14/05, Nick Pharris <npharris@umich.edu> wrote:
> Quoting Ian Paulsen <birdbooker@zipcon.net>:
>
> > HI:
> >  I wonder if Pterosaurs and relatives had one or two ovaries?
>
> I think the answer is, we don't know for sure.  But since two functional
> ovaries
> is primitive for archosaurs (and reptiles and amniotes), the smart money's on
> two until we have good evidence otherwise.

Ah, but if the avian single functional ovary is an adaptation for
flight (diminishing the weight of the body), who knows?
In fact, it makes me wonder how many other soft-tissue flight
adaptations pterosaurs may have had. (Neoavians also lack penes, for
example.)

--Mike Keesey