re: Endothermic Crocs in Nature

Kris,

Opinion follows:

Considering that early crocs are hard to distinguish from early dinos (witness
Macelognathus, Scleromochlus, etc.), especially when just their bits and pieces
are known, I could easily buy into endothermy devolving into something less in
a sit-and-wait predator. As Greg Paul has noted earlier, apparently the easiest
time for a taxon to revert is when it is only a few steps into the next level.
Perhaps the same has occurred here as well.

As an aside, and similarly (perhaps) among primitive chordates, I always
wondered about the echinoderm > chordate hypothesis when the early chordates
had the simpler wormlike Bauplan and devolving to sit-and-wait (or
sit-and-filter) lancelets > echinoderms seems to be a more logical and
parsimonious degression, regardless of wriggly larvae.

David Peters
St. Louis