Yoyoism (was Re: Endothermic Crocs in Nature)

"Tim Williams" <twilliams_alpha@hotmail.com> writes:
For example, I know of no "neoflightless" insects, nor
"neoamphibious" proto-cetaceans.

Many phasmids (stick insects) appear to be neoflightless, and secondary flightedness has apparently evolved independently in four distinct phasmid groups since this initial neoflightless event. In fact, a couple of phasmid clades apparently lost their wings, regained their wings, and lost their wings yet again. But don't take my word for it -- read the paper for yourself at http://www.eeb.uconn.edu/Courses/Eeb477/Whiting_etal_phasmid_04.pdf#search='convergent%20evolution%20%20Phasmid'. Figure 3 is particularly fun.

I hereby coin the term "yoyoism" to describe this aspect of numerous reversals of a particular character within a lineage.

--------
"Dino Guy" Ralph W. Miller III
proud member of the Society of Vertebrate Paleontology