Re: First dinosaur eggs found ready to lay in mothher

Tim Williams wrote:

> When did the single-oviduct condition first arise in Avialae?

I'm guessing around about the time they started flying. A terrestrial
animal many orders of magnitude larger than their eggs wouldn't be
bothered by the weight of two eggs on the go at once. A much smaller
animal with proportionally larger eggs and weight concerns would benefit
from laying only one at a time.

Of course if this was the case, then perhaps it says something about the
likelyhood of oviraptorosaurs being 2ndarily flightless? Or perhaps
ovies split off extremely early from volant theropods before they had
had a chance to streamline the whole 'flight' thing (ie. got out before
reaching the point of no return, as far as forelimb functionality goes).

Imagine if a kiwi tried to have twins? I've always wondered what an
exploding kiwi would look like...

Dann Pigdon
Melbourne, Australia        http://heretichides.soffiles.com