RE: Georgia Theropod Named

If and only if Appalachiosaurus is in Tyrannosauridae proper. It is in my
Dinosauria II chapter, but addition of new characters and
of Dilong pull it out to the Carr et al. position (the sister taxon to
Tyrannosauridae).

And by any measure, it is a "tyrannosaurid" as traditionally understood: a
large reduced-armed, incrassate-toothed,
arctometatarsalian-footed coelurosaur.

> Is it
> possible to do a comparison with the know postcranial remains of
> Dryptosaurus?

Yes, and it is a different animal. So at least two large tyrannosauroids
inhabited eastern North America during the Late Cretaceous
(although we don't have evidence yet that they did so at the same time; Appa.
is older than Drypto.)

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
        Mailing Address: