Re: Stegosaurus preparation photos

Good people,
It has always been my position that commercial dealers should be embraced by the SVP et al. The only way to regulate the industry (that will exist no matter what) is to talk to them and create lines of communication and thus cooperation. I personally condone no selling of fossils however. They should be in repository. That being said, pushing away those that believe otherwise is not the way to deal with them. You do not ignore a misbehaving child (metaphorically speaking only), you assist them by giving guidance and working with them. By working with those dealers, we could set up industry wide standards to ensure that important scientific information (that would otherwise be lost) such as context and location info be preserved with the specimen. I imagine an SVP certified fossil with a bar code or identifying number traceable to a data base so when the specimen eventually works it's way back to a museum, it is scientifically usable. Any other path will lead to lost information and the current bias against commercial dealers propagates this. Unfortunately, the polarity of this issue is deeply entrenched and emotional. Anyone else agree?
Frank Bliss
MS Biostratigraphy
Weston, Wyoming