Re: Mei's head version 2

having had a moluccan cockatoo for several years, she always sleeps with her eyes closed. I'm not sure if this is the case for other birds, but she also has a very thin membrane covering her eye that is almost like a second eyelid that activates on a more delicate basis than her regular one.

Michael
----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Lovejoy" <michael@palaeoproductions.fsnet.co.uk>
To: "DML" <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 8:30 AM
Subject: Re: Mei's head version 2

Nick Pharris wrote: 'I was wondering about the eyelids.  Don't most birds
have larger lower lids than upper?'

I've been through all my bird books, and those inconsiderate photographers
only shot birds with their eyes open! Even some pics of 'sleeping' geese
have the eyes open.

Can anyone shed any light on the eyelid situation? Or do some birds sleep
with eyes open?

Regards,
Michael Lovejoy