Re: Ichthyosaur breathing

Tim Williams (twilliams_alpha@hotmail.com) wrote:

<As someone who knows very little about ichthyosaurs, I have question.  Is the
mid-Triassic swimmer _Hupehsuchus_ still regarded as being close to the origin
of the Ichthyopterygia?>

  *Hupehsuchus* and *Utatsusaurus* are considered the most basal
ichthyopterygians, and in fact Motani places the former at the root, with
*Utatsusaurus* more crownward. *Chaohusaurus* and *Grippia* are one step closer
crownward. See http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/people/motani/ichthyo/strati.html
for details on the biostratigraphy calibrated to phylogeny.

  Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden