Re: Stegosaurus preparation photos take two...

I have not checked the website to see if this in
context or not, but my wife e-mailed this to me today.
Thought I would share it with the group.

cheers,

Bob Simon

Interesting quote from the University of California,
Berkeley Museum of Paleontology:

Q: What training is needed to become a paleontologist?

A: Paleontology is actually one of the few fields of
science left in which amateurs can and frequently do
make important contributions. Formal education is not
a prerequisite for becoming a paleontologist. What's
needed is a keen analytical mind, curiosity and
imagination tempered by scientific rigor, and lots of
patience -- to keep visiting sites, to keep good
notes, and to familiarize yourself with what is known
about the fossils and time period that you are
studying.

Formal education, however, is generally necessary if
you want employment. Museum preparators and industrial
paleontologists may need only a master's degree; the
doctorate is necessary for most academic
paleontologists. Few universities offer degree
programs in paleontology itself. Most universities
that offer paleontology coursework do so through their
geology departments (UC-Berkeley is an exception).
However, a thorough grounding in evolution, ecology,
and/or systematics is increasingly necessary for
paleontologists.