Re: Stegosaurus preparation photos take two...

To Thomas Holtz:
My posts were both totally off-topic so you should
remove me from your sample. The question mark, I am
happy to say, was totally appropriate.

To all:
I have not contributed to this discussion because
neither side (with the probable exception of Frank)
would like my opinions. Were I to speak my mind
freely, I would certainly be barred from the list.
I'll mostly settle for "What Dr. Frank Said."

Mostly.

On 'creeping academic guildism' or 'paleo-fascism'.:
I have been told, point-blank, that as an
uncredentialed amateur, it is "OK, I guess, for you to
go the library and datamine, but that it NOT OK to
form, test or advance new hypotheses. Especially
radical ones that may require the re-writing of
textbooks. You just can't do that." "I'm the pope and
you're Galileo." "Hey, thats pretty good, I've got
some data to corroborate that, I think I'll publish
it. You are an unpublished amateur, I don't need to
give you credit for the idea." "This idea is to big
for an amateur. Some professional will take it up,
eventually." All from conversations with well-known,
published PhDs. Note that "professional pride" is the
matrix here.

There are also very decent PhD types (even some grad
students, which is kind of amazing) out there who have
treated me very fairly indeed, and it ain't always
been easy for them. They are wonderful people, and I
hope they are not in any trouble. Sheesh.

You see, to many 21st century academic professionals,
the well of ideas is like an archeological site in
that unqualified people should not be allowed to
plunder around messing stuff up. If they do, it's war,
and all's fair. Kooky theories are OK, re-doing old
stuff is OK, but robust new ideas are strictly
off-limits. If you have tendencies in that direction
you should not be allowed to access or obtain raw data
or peer-reviewed material. In other words, they want
to take the world back to the way it has always been.
Keep your mouth shut, know your place, and stay off
the King's lands.

LEST SOMEONE BE TEMPTED TO JUMP TO CONCLUSIONS OR
START RUMORS: I HAVE NEVER BOUGHT, SOLD, OR TRADED ANY
ARTIFACT OR FOSSIL. NOT ONCE. EVER. I AM SELF-FUNDED.
I DO NOT OWN A PRIVATE COLLECTION.

Don Ohmes

"Sometimes I think we should hang the whole human race
and start over." Mark Twain.

"What do we do with the hangman? Can he be trusted to
finish the job?" Don Ohmes.

=== message truncated ===