RE: Convergence and Macelognathus, a Perspective & T-Rexapolosa

Tim Williams (twilliams_alpha@hotmail.com) wrote:

<Out of curiosity, just how strong is the case that _Hallopus_ and
_Macelognathus_ are one and the same?>

  Well, fairly strong. Sampling limb anatomies from other sphenodontids such as
*Sphenodon,* *Terrestrisuchus,* and *Hesperisuchus,* then the sace for hindlimb
and forelimb elongation in *Hallopus* is fairly unique, implying that if any
other taxa share this feature it's pretty damn closely related. *Macelognathus*
does exhibit such similarities, but the problem is is that *Hallopus* is
preserved in a single specimen with much of the limb material poorly preserved
and impressions granting some further details. Distortion of bones and key
elements of comparison being impressions makes for a difficult to assess
comparison, so while the case is strong, the data its based on is weakened.
*Hallopus* and *Macelognathus* may be the same, but I show no confidence in
such an assignment without further data.

<Also, even though these Late Jurassic sphenosuchians had an erect posture,
would I be correct in saying that there is no evidence that they were bipedal?>

  I would definately concur that, despite the elongated preacetabular ala of
the ilium and long limb bones, the animals were quadrupeds; several features of
the forelimb and hindlimb indicate terrestrial locomotion, including
independant forelimb anatomy and comparisons with living quadrupeds.

  Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden