Arthropleurids are indeed myriapods (was RE: insects - not! (OT))

> From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
> David Marjanovic
>
> * Millipedes, centipedes, a few smaller groups, and probably
> arthropleurids -- the things that reached a length of ~ 2 m in the
> Carboniferous and are believed to have munched rotten wood or something,
> though I don't know why.

Arthropleurids were indeed myriapods; more specifically, diplopods (aka
millipedes). In my classes I've given them the nickname
"godzillapedes".

Heather Wilson (formerly a postdoc at the Dept. of Entomology here, now at
Yale) has done a lot of revisions on the anatomy and
systematics of this group of myriapods.

Check out http://www.life.umd.edu/entm/shultzlab/vtab/arthropleuridea.htm

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist