Re: wing ungual and digit V sightings

http://www.pterosaurinfo.com/finger5_wing_unguals.html

Release the hounds!

Well, if you ask for it... :->

First of all, sorry that I didn't trace anything today. I forgot. I'll try to trace those photos and the above over the next 1 or 2 days. (I have enough time for it -- I've almost finished entering the available ornithischians into the database; most of the saurischians are still missing.)

http://www.pterosaurinfo.com/dimor_finger5.html: This _*IS*_ the Face On Mars. It has the same resolution, the same blurriness, and even the color is similar. If you can really cheat yourself _so hard_, I mean if you really believe this kind of photo could ever contain _any_ information, you should better look out you don't _accidentally_ shift around any mountains near you (...OK, so there's not much danger in St. Louis). Well:
- The light comes from the left, it appears. This means that "mc V" is a _depression_. A place where a chunk has broken out of the _matrix_ (there's a _step_ in the matrix -- farther away from the bones it was prepared away more deeply to expose eventual additional bones, closer to the bones it was left there to prevent damage). The break surface continues a little into the bone which looks as if something had gnawed it.
- The "claw" does not lie on the step, as the rest of the "finger" does. Not only is the whole thing inside-out, it's also "preserved" in _two different planes_! The line between the "claw" and the "penultimate phalanx" is the edge of the step.
- As commonly, perhaps always, occurs with the photos you use, I can see _several_ (in this case 3) possibilities for the precise shape of the claw. Will take a long time to trace everything I want, I fear...
- All in all, it resembles less a digit + metapodial than a TRITYLODONTID LOWER JAW. My tracing will look more convincing than yours! Look, the "finger" forms a V-shape with a _second_ such string of raised features. Clearly a tritylodontid lower jaw is a more parsimonious explanation than a polydactyl pterodactyl! Since it is bas-relief instead of haut-relief, could it be the bite mark of a tritylodontid? This would also neatly explain why the region behind the tooth rows is missing. -- Er, yes, I am kidding, of course. But of course I'll trace it anyway.
- Besides... when a digit gets reduced (what happened to tyrannosaurid arms is not "reduction"), the first thing that shrinks and then disappears is the ungual, because it is most expensive to build and maintain and most useless. About half of this "finger" consists of the "claw". This would be strongly selected against. Look at the average claw on the 2nd finger of a chicken. _That_ is reduced.

http://www.pterosaurinfo.com/haopterus_finger5.html: This, too, is bas-relief; as you can see _clearly_ in all photos, all shadows are on the right. A break, still partly filled with matrix, leads into mc IV (a _completely flat_ bone -- it was hollow, and it had tens of Ma worth of rock lying atop it). You interpret its tip as a finger even though it's lower, not higher, than its surroundings.

http://www.pterosaurinfo.com/noripterus_finger5.html: This is a continuous ridge on mc IV. It has a pretty sharp edge. On its left there's a fossa for muscle attachment or (considering the round black hole) the entry of an air sac. Note that the ridge continues beyond the tip of the "claw" and loops around the distal end of the fossa! The separation line between the "ungual" and the "penultimate phalanx" is a break that goes through the entire mc IV. There are no such lines between the "other phalanges", instead you interpreted the bright spots as the joint ends. But such spots occur all over the bone. You just wanted to see 3 phalanges and a metacarpal. (Note the totally different proportions from "that" of *Dimorphodon*. What for? The claw is still impressively large 100 Ma later.

http://www.pterosaurinfo.com/sordes_wing_ungual.html: Are you aware how gihugrongous that "claw" would be? It would surpass the proportions of the 2nd manual claw of *Drepanosaurus* by far. The large curved dark triangle above it is _the entire wing tip_, _with_ the wing membrane!!! No wonder that the claw itself looks so much like an artifact of resolution. Its totally straight left border is a row of dark pixels. Means, an artifact of the _ridiculously_ low resolution. Most of it is the border of an irregular dark patch, probably a dendrite (you have experience with low-res photos of dendrites!). Its right border -- which only corresponds to the _lower half_ of the right border; when I try hard enough, I can see the tip of the claw, but not the upper half of the right claw margin -- is probably the right border of one branch of the dendrite.

http://www.pterosaurinfo.com/cycno_wing_ungual.html: This is obvious. The "claw" is the area where they prepared around the wing tip. Ever wondered why the finger claws of the Berlin *Archaeopteryx* have such white circles (downward-pointing cones) around them? That's it. They continued into the slab because the splitting surface didn't precisely follow the surface of the fossil, so the preparator followed the claws downwards.

http://www.pterosaurinfo.com/scapho_wing_ungual.html:
Left two pics: The left "claw" has the same explanation as above, with the addition that the preparation caused parts of the upper layer to break away. This produced the "tip" of the "claw impression". For the life of me I can't see the right claw -- but I guess that's because the right wing finger is (on my screen) _a cm farther right and above_! See that brown streak that cuts off the top right corner? This is bone.
Lower right pic: Two wing finger tips surrounded by plenty of dendrites. In thick fog.

http://www.pterosaurinfo.com/arthur_wing_ungual.html: Took me a minute of trying hard to see the tracing in the photo. I'd bet reasonable amounts of money that there's simply nothing there. A reddish circle identical to the one on the "end of phalanx 4-4" (the "ligament depression") occurs in 2 to 10 other places on the left inset (depending how strict you are about the color), including _on the bone_, the real bone, I mean. BTW... why is the claw so deformed if it's a claw??? It must have been as soft as my sister's nose when she was a baby (her nose and ears were quite slow to chondrify, and are still softer than mine now that she's almost 13).

http://www.pterosaurinfo.com/mpum6009_wing_ungual.html: :-o Huh??? What's this? A jpeg of a Hubble Deep Field compressed down to 0.3 %? I can't see a claw in there. Or _anything_. I can't. BTW, if the thick, pointed bone in the 2nd pic (from the top) is a phalanx 4-4, it has a nice and neatly prepared pointed tip. It doesn't "fade into the matrix". (As if it ever could -- it's not the same material, hey.)
Or wait -- actually I can see something in there: a bottle. The shape of a good old-fashioned Coca Cola glass bottle. If I treat it as a Rorschach test, that is. Gaze at the estimated 500 pixels for a minute or two, and stimulus deprivation will kick in. The bottle is dark. Underlying the claw that I still can't see. Wait! Now I can see it. Honestly. I'm not one of those snickering types like HPs Tim Williams or Mike Taylor.
And precisely why shouldn't the wing claws be articulated? Why do they have to have drifted to precisely that plane in which they can be seen?

See you later when I'll upload the tracings.

<headache>