Re: Caudipteryx not a bird and more from APP

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 16:45:10 -0500, Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
<tholtz@geol.umd.edu> wrote:
> > From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
> > Dora Smith
> >
> > My understanding is that caudpteryx and some other close relatives of birds
> > are controversial as to whether they are birds.
>
> Although the very first paper on Caudi suggested it was closer to birds than
> it was to other dinosaurs, all subsequent phylogenetic
> analyses that include other non-avian dinosaurian taxa put at least some of
> those closer to modern birds than is Caudipteryx.

IIRC, the analysis in the first paper didn't include any previously
known oviraptorosaurs, or any previously known non-eumaniraptors, for
that matter, just dromaeosaurids, avialans, _Caudipteryx_, and
_Protarchaeopteryx_. CMIIW.

-- Mike Keesey