Re: Caudipteryx not a bird and more from APP

At 07:58 PM 2/3/2005, Dora Smith wrote:
I can see how the skeletons of birds differ from thsoe of their cousins -
but multiple lines of therapods were evolving in similar ways because those
ways constituted strong adaptive advantages.   I am not saying that birds
did NOT evolve from a single line, but I'm not convinced it's proven.

But if birds are monophyletic (which you seem to accept) then they MUST have evolved from a single ancestral line - that's what monophyletic means. if all birds are more closely related to each other than to anything else (and I think that the evidence for this among Neornithes at least is overwhelming) then they could only have evolved from a single ancestral lineage.

Ronald Orenstein
1825 Shady Creek Court
Mississauga, ON L5L 3W2
Canada