Definition of Species

The Encyclopedia Brittanica defines species thusly:

  "[B]iological classification comprising related organisms that share
common characteristics and are capable of interbreeding. The term
speciation designates the process by which one species of organism splits
into two or more species. Speciation is one of the fundamental processes
of evolution."

  At what point was the BSC adopted as true, versus other species
concepts?

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden