Re: Definition of Species

David Kenneth Smith (dks32@email.byu.edu) wrote:

<I never heard that it had been.  I give my biology students half a dozen
or more species definitions every semester.>

  Which is why it worries me that the largest encyclopedia today has this
codified in its pages, instead of clarifying that scientists consider
there to be many different species concepts, none of which are held to be
THE definition.

  This came up during research on a comment I was given that scientists
call species as animals that can't interbreed with other species, in the
case of the two extant *Heloderma* species (which I was told cannot
interbreed, or prove viabile offspring), so I was curious as to the
resolution of these "facts."

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden