Re: A Sauropod named Maverick

Hi all,

I recall the mention of the tightness of giraffe skin as relevant to
its blood pressure in the context of discussing sauropod physiology,
though I can't remember where.  It may have been in the Scientific
American Book of Dinosaurs edited by GSP, and if I had it with me
right now, I would check.

Elephant skin is saggy, and they're also tall yet they rear up for the
all-natural purposes of mating and circus acts.  Those three-ring
circuses in the Serengeti are crowd pleasers!  Seriously, have there
been studies concerning elephant blood pressure when upright?  There's
a video online of an elephant playing soccer/basketball and it walks
on its hindlegs for several steps here:
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/elephantsoccer.html  Granted, this isn't
natural behavior, but it seems relephant (ha!).  What about
Indricotherium?  Did it have baggy rhino skin or tight giraffe skin?

One more thing:  It has been postulated that if/since sauropods could
not raise their necks, they might have developed the adaptation of
lengthy necks to sweep vast areas of ground plants as they walked
forward.  Intuitively, this seems unreasonable, since the problem of
covering vast areas for consumption is a cursorial one and seems to be
more easily solved by lengthening legs rather than necks.  Further,
why haven't the potential blood pressure issues of _lowering_ a
sauropod's head been invoked?

That's all, folks!

Thanks,

Demetrios