Re: mesosaurs - what are they?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jaime A. Headden" <qilongia@yahoo.com>
Sent: Sunday, February 06, 2005 2:37 AM

 Unfortunately, according to the way it's been defined and used by
authors over the last couple of years, If turtles are reptiles, and all
other reptiles are diapsids,

How could the latter part happen? It hasn't happened in any phylogeny (cladogram or not) I've seen.

*Claudiosaurus* is excluded from the Diapsida in
Rieppel & Reisz (1999: _Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst._ 30:1-22),

Really? Not just from their crown group?

<And I'm not even counting pachystotic ribs.>

Good, because they would be convergent in similar yet disparate animals.

Sea cow ribs are the only diagnostic mammal ribs -- only they are banana-shaped.
The latest JVP has a dolichosaur with pachyostotic ribs, too.

Just like other locomotory or aquatic induced adaptations. Like those
listed above. Faculative, functional morphology is a kicker, ain't it?
Makes you sit and think about how much he characters really -- I mean
REALLY -- mean.

I recommend reweighting. :-)