Re: Jurassic Park 4: Electric Boogaloo

On Sunday, February 6, 2005, at 06:46  PM, fmpaleo@verat.net wrote:

I hope they will finally correct "Velociraptor's" hands (under quotes cause that isn't exactly Velociraptor). And, they could give it more than few feathers, too.

And I know the Spinosaurus-Rex fight (that was a comedy) was commented here.
[Comic Book Guy voice] Worst fight ever. I mean the Big T has his jaws right on the Spinosaur's neck. That shoulda been game over right there. BEFORE Big T slams it and drags it along the ground and rams Spiny(forgive the nicknames) in the side, which would undoubtedly break quite a few ribs. Aaah, I'm just so disgusted by that 'battle'.

Blood thirsty Pteranodons??? No coment on that one.
ROTFLMAO

[...] Dr. Horner is credited with the change in the T-Rex in Jurassic Park 3 that showed the creature to be more of a scavenger than a hunter based upon the latest findings.

Actually, T. rex appears only for a few minutes of the whole movie, and it is just shown while eating. Maybe it was their intention to show a scavenging T. rex, but the movie doesn't tell that in any way.
Like who's credited with the change in Pteranodon from being mainly piscivorous to hunting bipeds roughly the size of the movie's raptors? LOL.

Modern predators often do not eat all of their pray right away, or they sometimes scavenge, but they also hunt. It could be similar with prehistoric ones.
Most likely.

Also, I must admit it seems a bit hard to imagine a T. rex as a scavenging creature, for it is kind of odd that so powerful animal with such a powerful jaws doesn't take the advantages of hunting. I remember a TV programme (but not too well, it was some time ago – which also means things changed since) in which a find of several Giganotosaurs (or something like that) was featured in order to support the theory that giant carnivores hunted in packs. Now, I know Giganotosaurus is not exactly T. rex, but I remember they mentioned something of a similar find of Tyrannosaurus, or (more probable), that they were looking for such find. My point is, scavenging T. rex – maybe true, maybe not.

That's talked about in Extreme Dinosaurs: The Science of Giants, which is included on the Chased by Dinosaurs DVD. It examines the pack-hunting that would be necessary for Giganotosaurus to take down Argentinosaurus, unless of course it just went for a juvenile. IMO, at least as far as limb morphology goes, I'd imagine Giga to be the obligatory scavenger of the two. That either one was a pure scavenger is extremely hard to believe.
I'm truthfully getting sick of the solo vs pack-hunting talks. Pack hunting has NOTHING to do with intelligence. It has to do with the environment & food availability which are both intertwined. If there's enough food to consistently support a pack, that's most likely how they will live. If the prey population density is low, the predator should be solitary, ie. lions vs tigers.