RE: Dragons on Animal Planet March 20

> From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
> Martin Baeker
>
> >   I will likely be watching this for the amusement factor, but also
> > because I am genuinely interested. I have read some classic fantasy, and
> > remain an avid reader of modern fantasy to this day (who hasn't read
> > Tolkein or Heinlein yet?), so some of the statements about the biologies
> > of dragons they indicated on the site had me intrigued and I want to see
> > if they credit these people as being original conceptors for these
> > effects. Dragons in Gordon R. Dickson's world have inflatable gas
> > chambers, so they fly like blimbs,
>
> This is one of the concepts they used.

If memory serves, Gordy Dixon did NOT employ this concept in the _Dragon & the
George_. In fact, I remember the dragons and their kin in that book being
rather solidly built critters. It was the product of an odd art/natural
history/philosophy book by Peter Dickinson called _Flight of Dragons_, which
came out around my 12th Birthday or so. In fact, I got both those books on the
same birthday.

Oddly, some years later Rankin/Bass (the animation production company that
produced "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer", "Frosty the Snowman", and "The
Hobbit") did a TV show called "Flight of Dragons" featuring concepts from Peter
Dickinson's book but with the main plot derived from Gordy Dixon's!!

(I know that Dixon subsequently wrote later books in the Dragon & the George
series, so maybe he retconned the hydrogen gas chambers back into the dragons).

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
        Mailing Address:
                Building 237, Room 1117