RE: Dragons on Animal Planet March 20

Kris Kripchak (MariusRomanus@aol.com) wrote:

<By the way, I haven't followed all of this post, so I don't know if
anyone has mentioned this yet... In last month's Amazing Figure Modeler
magazine, prehistoric models and their modelers were the big feature.
Fantastic issue. Anyway, do any of you remember the movie "Dragon Slayer"?
It came out back in 1981. It is THE all-time greatest Dragon movie...
EVER. In honor of the most anatomically "accurate" dragon to grace the
silver screen, Timeslip Creations has made a near exact resin model of
her, Vermithrax, with a wing span that's 3 feet wide! She's amazing. That
"Reign of Fire" movie had dragons that were nearly identicle copies. She's
very easy to build as well... I'm almost finished :-)>

  I recall seeing this movie so many times, the dead dragon in the end was
burned into my mind. Peter MacNichol, who played the wizard's apprentice
(and would later play Vigo's minion in Ghostbusters 2 and Ally MacNeal's
boss on that rather ... bizarre ... show) gave a rather peculiar
performance, and the movie captured the inquisition-era theme of the time
rather spectacularly. The dragon, of course, was heralded as one of the
most awestiking creatures on film ever, and even _I_ saw that in the
theater, but well, well after it was first released, I do recall. Today's
CG is immediately discernible from live background, given matting, and
while matting was used in Dragonslayer, it seems to have been better
involved in that a lot of focus was put on the players apart then hey were
together, so you never got the real sense "Oh, that's so fake!" Like I
tend to think in my crabby ageing new movie experience (the opening
sequence for "Return of the Kind" is an example of not-up-to-par matting,
though I love the movie nonetheless).

  And yes, I do recall _Flight of Dragons_ as well, but had regarded it as
essentially deriving from _St. Dragon and the George_, so dismissed it as
a source on it's own (foolishness).

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden