RE: Russian hadrosaur pangolins!?

> From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
> Brian Choo
>
> A report on the recently described Amur duckbill *Kerberosaurus
> manakini* has revealed an unhealthy fixation on pangolins by the
> author! This man must be commited and given the proper psychiatric
> treatment before his manid addiction leans to social and financial
> ruin!
>
> http://www.innovations-report.com/html/reports/earth_sciences/report
> -35228.html
>
> "Remains of a dinosaur new to Russia have been found in the town of
> Blagoveshchensk and described by a Russian paleontologist. Previously,
> remains of the nearest relations of this pangolin – Kerberosaur - were
> found only in North America."
>
> "Dinosaurs are one of the groups of reptiles widespread on our planet
> in the Jurassic and Cretaceous of the Age of Reptiles. They included
> giant pangolins and relatively small creatures of the size of a dog or
> a hen."
>
> "The Kerberosaur was a large herbivorous pangolin (according to Yuri
> Bolotsy’s estimates, the length of its body made about 10 meters)
> belonging to the so-called hadrosaurs."

[SNIP other examples]

I've encountered the "pangolin" bit in translations from the Russian before.
Apparently the Russian word for "pangolin" is similar
to the one for "lizard", and thus the unwary use the wrong translation of
"saurian".

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
        Mailing Address: