Re: mesosaurus

Jaime Headden wrote:

<Rhynchocephalia?  Shouldn't that be "Sphenodontia"?>

  I believe if both are considered to refer to the same group, the one
Müller used as Rhynchocephalia and coined waaaaay back when the tuatara
was described, is considered to have "priority" -- inasmuch as a
non-codified taxon name can have priority -- over Sphenodontia.

I thought the name "Rhynchocephalia" referenced the rhynchosaurs, which were once thought to be allied to the tuatara and friends (sphenodontids).