Re: Jurassic Park 4: Electric Boogaloo

In a message dated 2/11/05 3:05:31 AM Eastern Standard Time,
DinoBoyGraphics@aol.com writes:

<< To some degree you are right, especially in terms of the behavioral
flexibility that such social groups display.  But Nile crocodiles have been
reported
to engage in what appears to be cooperative herding of fish schools towards
ambushes by other crocs.  Although more stereotyped in their response, schools
of fish exhibit excellent coordination of group movement, with even less
intelligence than crocodillians have.  So while packs of non-avian theropods
may
not be expected to show the same level of behavioral plasticity that modern
placental mammals display, the brain requirements for coordinated (if
stereotyped)
group behavior seems to be well within their grasp. >>

Fair enough, although the crocodile activity seems dubious. In the case of
fish, isn't this really a form of herding, as protection from predators? For
some reason, I see cooperation to hunt other animals as involving greater
intelligence--more "proactive" to use the business jargon. Doubtless I harbor a
prejudice in favor of predators on this score: after all, vegetarians only have
"outsmart" plants (I can almost hear Richard Attenborough telling us, in
hushed tones, about the "...patient stag stalking the unwary grass...")

Chip