Re: Jurassic Park 4: Electric Boogaloo

In a message dated 2/11/05 2:52:44 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ajgrant@eastlink.ca writes:

<< It shouldn't. Besides the obvious observation of tigers vs lions, there's
also numerous insects.  Or you could observe plants. >>

Given the genetic proximity of lions & tigers, I assume they're of roughly
the same "intelligence" (however we're going to define it.)

Anyway, those damned plants keep moving, forming packs to exploit the
abundant food sources--it's driving me crazy.

<< Cheetahs typically inhabit areas where there's cover from other predators,
as most lions will kill cheetahs on-site. Lions, on the other hand, will
usually take to the more open plains, where there is a larger concentration of
larger prey species. AFAIK, cheetahs don't attack and kill wildebeest & zebra,
which lions are quite good at. Cheetahs typically hunt smaller, less dangerous
gazelle and retreat with it if they can FROM the open to avoid larger
predators. >>

As you point out, there's overlap here, because I'd heard about lions killing
cheetahs. I think you're right about the difference in the size of prey taken
by the respective species, which is probably why the lions cooperate: larger
prey, rather than more abundant (makes sense to me, anyway).

<< > New World cougars have plenty of prey, but don't form packs (as far as I
know).

 Prey of what size? Are you referring to rodents? I have NO problem eating a
cheeseburger (or a double cheeseburger, for that matter) by myself, but I'll
more than happily share a pizza with friends. But then again, that depends on
the size of the pizza. If the pizza's a 6", I'd rather keep it to myself. If I
had a larger one I wouldn't see a trade-off in my personal nourishment and
friend/group/pack nourishment.  See what I'm getting at yet? >>

You're making me hungry. Don't cougars take deer? I understand this
particular facet of your argument, yes--but surely it requires more
"intelligence"
(there it is again!) to cooperate with your friends to buy an extra large
pizza.
In fact, your having friends argues for a little more brain activity (in
certain lobes) than those who don't, but we're talking about differences within
given population here, rather than between species.

<< > Is a dearth of prey the reason tigers, leopards, jaguars, bears, and
foxes tend to be solitary, or is it more likely that that's what their
ancestors
did & it works just fine?

 That's very hard to know. None of us were around for it. >>

Absolutely--then again, isn't "nobody saw it" one of those anti-Evolution
arguments that can get one timed-out on this list?

<< Various predators will tolerate each other and work together at limited
times of the year when there is a mutual benefit, although the rest of the time
they are highly territorial. One could reason that if the gain from working
together became more common for longer intervals, it would became habitual
eventually. Also, if siblings were fortunate enough to survive together and had
developed a method of group hunting that was beneficial enough given prey
availability, they could teach it to their respective offspring. >>

Speculative, but sure, why not?

<< Any member of the Homo sapiens should be especially careful whenever they
speak of the intelligence of other creatures. Imagine how intelligent we would
look to another race observing the actions of a smokers, given the
life-shortening effects for a trade-off of relieving mental stress. >>

I don't think you have to step outside the species to see that (wrote the
non-smoker): Humans do plenty of stupid things, I think we can all agree.
However, we're also (AFAIK) the only ones that can DISCUSS the intelligence of
others
species, which means we get to set the terms of the debate.

<< The predators you mention exhibit teamwork.  How much intelligence does it
really take to know when another individual is tired and you have a better
shot because you're closer? People make jokes all the time about sports players
being dumb as a proverbial post, even though they excel in their sport on a
team. >>

Does it not take intelligence to know that another individual is covering
THAT avenue of escape, so I'll watch THIS one? There's an element of trust here
in that it's another individual that I'll share the kill with, whichever of us
takes down the antelope.  I'm not an athlete; there are some much smarter than
others, based on hearing them speak (most of them can do that) & it's
probably fair to say that their relative intelligence does not directly
correlate
with their particular levels of skill within the sport--but once again, this is
difference within a species, rather than between separate specific
populations. Surely your average football player is slightly smarter than your
average
chimp.

Chip