Re: Jurassic Park 4: Electric Boogaloo

Vorompatra@aol.com wrote:
> For
> some reason, I see cooperation to hunt other animals as involving greater
> intelligence--more "proactive" to use the business jargon.

There's a difference between cooperative hunting and true pack hunting.
Crocs can do the former, but I wouldn't really call them a
well-integrated 'pack'.

> Doubtless I harbor a
> prejudice in favor of predators on this score: after all, vegetarians only
> have to
> "outsmart" plants.

Even plants have their defenses. Some acacia trees produce toxins in
their leaves when damaged by a herbivore, then send chemical messages to
all other acacias down-wind, which will also begin producing toxins in
anticipation. Giraffes have learnt to feed on acacias in an up-wind
direction, thus taking their victims by surprise...

Dann Pigdon
Melbourne, Australia        http://heretichides.ravencommunity.net/