"Eobrontosaurus" is not Camarasaurus

I don't know if this has been discussed on the list yet, but the new version of
the Dinosauria tentatively reassigns Eobrontosaurus yahnahpin (orginally
described as Apatosaurus yahnahpin and affectionately called "Bertha") as a
species of Camarasaurus.  Not having seen the specimen in many years, I went to
Glen Rock and examined it (despite rumors to the otherwise, the specimen is
still in fact there).

So...the verterae un unquestionably apatosaurine.  The Dinosauria II cites the
original "publication's" description of long cervical ribs as a non-diplodocine
character, which of course it would be.  Except there are absolutely no
complete cervical ribs preserved.  The bone that was described as a cervical
rib is (I swear I'm not making this up!) actually a fragmentary (and still
incompletely prepped)illium.  It is the pubic peduncle and ventral margin of
the anterior blade.  The rest was apparently not preserved, but in the
incomplete state of prep the authors apparently thought it was an unfused
cervical rib (or else they thought the peduncle was part of a cervical
vertebrae...?).

So, the quick version is that some of the bones are mis-diagnosed in the
original description, which lead to the reassingment of the species to
Camarasaurus.  Obviously the specimen needs a more complete description when it
is fully preped out, but it is assuredly apatosaurine in nature.

Just thought some of you would like to know.

--
Scott Hartman
Zoology & Physiology

(307) 742-3799