Re: Jurassic Park 4: Electric Boogaloo

In a message dated 2/13/05 4:45:07 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dannj@alphalink.com.au writes:

<< There's a difference between cooperative hunting and true pack hunting.
Crocs can do the former, but I wouldn't really call them a well-integrated
'pack'.  >>

Dann, that's a distinction I hadn't made: is there a definition for that
"pack"? I'd guess it to include the lions' pride.

"Even plants have their defenses. Some acacia trees produce toxins in their
leaves when damaged by a herbivore, then send chemical messages to all other
acacias down-wind, which will also begin producing toxins in anticipation.
Giraffes have learnt to feed on acacias in an up-wind direction, thus taking
their
victims by surprise..."

Interesting: plants with an active defense ("Once again, the giraffe has
outwitted its plant prey...")

Chip