Re: Tyrannosaur Evolution

Mickey Mortimer (Mickey_Mortimer111@msn.com) wrote:

<First, Nodosaurus is from Wyoming.  Second, it's from the Mid Cenomanian
Frontier Formation.  Hardly Eastern latest Cretaceous.  Was Hadrosaurus
foulkii smaller than Kritosaurus navajovius or K. notabilis?  The East had
huge Campanian hadrosaurs in any case, like Hypsibema crassicauda.>

  I was talking about *Nodosaurus* in general, not the HOLOTYPE, which
indeed is from the Cenomanian of Wyoming. There have been notes and
records of material attributed to *Nodosaurus* from Alabama and New
Jersey, and form what is apparently a "refugial" condition in the east
comparable to the older Cretaceous fauna in the west. This includes
nodosaurs, "primitive" hadrosaurs, etc., also not forgetting
*Lophorrhothon,* the *Hadrosaurus* synonym(?) *Ornithotarsus,* as well as
an Alabama tyrannosauroid currently under study by Carr, Williamson, and
King, which had previously been alluded to as *Albertosaurus* in museum
labels, before preparation and study by the westerners (Carr from Canada,
Williamson from New Mexico) joined Alabaman King to study it.

  Here is a thesis (by King) on the subject of dinosaurs and the eastern
province:

  http://www.auburn.edu/~kingdat/dinosaur_webpage.htm

  He has also publish a book on Alabama's fossils in:

  http://www.aubookstore.com/aldino.asp

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden