Re: Eons of time (please check the values)

I think it's a great idea to come up with some way of explaining eons of time, but with Crichton's method we're merely replacing one set of unfathomably large numbers with another set of mind boggling numbers.

Has anybody estimated the height of a million pages of paper in one tidy stack? Or the length of X million pieces of toilet paper end to end? Can these be cross referenced with the height of well known monuments or the distances between cities or the circumference of the earth or the distance between continents?

Stacked sheets of paper or lengths of toilet paper could create a vivid picture in the mind, whereas the "simplified form," 9824 lifetime/days, only prompts my brain to go: "Huh?" Try that one on an elementary student the next time you are approached in the lobby of your favorite museum and see how far it gets you.

--------
"Dino Guy" Ralph W. Miller III
proud member of the Society of Vertebrate Paleontology

Or is it just me?