Re: [darren.naish@port.ac.uk: Giant brachiosaur & Rhynchocephalia]

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Taylor" <mike@indexdata.com>
Sent: Monday, February 14, 2005 11:43 AM

Forwarded on behalf of occasional HP Darren Naish.

[...]

Firstly, regarding the size of the English brachiosaurid
cervical vertebra MIWG.7306 (referred to affectionately by
some of us as 'Angloposeidon'), Mike pointed out that the
specimen is 745 mm long, not 1230 mm as suggested by
David. I don't know where the 1230 mm came from,

Sorry. I probably mixed it up with the 23 m that were at the time given as the estimate of the total length of the animal.

but in
2002 I gave a few talks and published a few articles (e.g.,
the one in _Dino Press_ 7) where the total length was given
as 1060 mm. While 745 mm is the officially 'correct' length
(it is the maximum measurable centrum + condyle length),
there's more than one way to measure a vertebra and one
could argue that my 1060 mm is not incorrect. Initially (viz,
before clever people told me otherwise) I stupidly thought
that the total length of any vertebra meant, like, total length
- - that is, maximum measurable length from tip of prezyg to
rim of cotyle.

Oh.
Perhaps someone should introduce the term "functional length" for the 745 mm?

The same goes for the animal represented by
MIWG.7306. The same size as _B. brancai_?

(This is probably where the 23 m figure came from.)