Re: Predatory dinosaurs of Baltimore - the real raptor red

On a similar note,
We have Mississippi Kites around the campus here
(they've been known to dive-bomb unsuspecting
passers-by).  My girlfriend found a "baby bird" camped
out by the bottom of a tree.  Thinking she meant
"baby" literally, I got a shoebox and told her to call
the local wild animal hospital.  Well, the baby wan't
so tiny--a fledgling kite with most of its primary
flight feathers and a good two-foot wingspan (if I
remember him right).  He went into a threat display
when I brought out the box (but not before), which
immediatley brought the attention of an adult kite
(maybe his mom?) who flew in and perched directly
above the fledgling, staring down at us.  I decided he
was probably safe enough and retreated.

Just some more interesting raptor behavior.

Eric Allen
Undergraduate, TTU