Re: Australian museum drops bid to clone extinct Tasmanian "tiger"

Dann Pigdon wrote:

> The last known thylacine, a striped, dog-like marsupial -- animals which
> keep their young in a pouch -- died in captivity in Hobart in 1936...

And yet it is still illegal to attempt to trap Thylacines (two men were
convicted in the 1980s of the crime).

I'm assuming the miscreants didn't catch a live thylacine. If they had caught one, the sentence (whatever it was) would probably have been worth it.

It saddens me to say this, but the poor old thylacine is almost certainly extinct. I know the sightings continue, giving credence to the opinion that the thylacine is still Australia's most common extinct animal.

As for the cloning experiment, this was always a pipe-dream. There was no shame in trying though. Maybe one day, decades from now...