Re: Bagarataan enviroments?

Rodlox R (rodlox@hotmail.com) wrote:

<if I might ask, what was the Barungoyotian enviroment?  *curious*>

  Barungoyotian is an AGE name, as in a Land Mammal Age, it doesn't refer
to a period in which environment was stablem but through which faunal
successions occured. Formations through which are Barungoyotian are the
Djadokhta Formation (Senonian or as young as lower Campanian) and the
overlying (though not actually conforming in the various type sections
which can be directly compared -- rather that "guessed" at as some have
done) Barun Goyot Formation, which directly underlies the Nemegt Formation
(both of which are Campanian and with possible Maastrichtian transition in
the latter given Faunal similarities to the upper Campanian Dinosaur Park
and the lower Maastrichtian Horseshoe Canyon Formations.

  The environments of the Djadokhta change from aeolian (arid, dominated
by sand dunes -- imagine the smaller "ergs" of the Sahara, mostly flat
rocky soil with sand dunes everywhere) intermixing with ponds and streams,
towards a wetter estuarine yet still sandy environment.

  The Barun Goyot geologically resembles a wetter Djadokhta, but shows
larger water activity and is typically more "muddier" in nature.

  The Nemegt would resemble a wetlands, which the Barun Goyot appears to
transition into at Hermiin Tsab (Khermeentsavskaya svita in Russian),
though both are dominated by sandstones, and the younger the more finely
grained and more water-dominated they become.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden