Re: Tyrannosaur tongues?

From: Jura <pristichampsus@yahoo.com>
To: Subject: Re: Tyrannosaur tongues?
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 14:49:19 -0800 (PST)

--- Rodlox R <rodlox@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Did members of the *Tyrannosauridae* have tongues
> like modern crocs, fully
> attached to the lower jaw?...were they like the
> breathing tongues of
> snakes?....were they flexible and muscular like what
> parrots use to talk?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Offhand, I don't know of any evidence that suggests
anything about tyrannosaur tongues (other than that,
they had them).

I didn't know anything either...but I knew enough to know that I didn't know...so I asked.

As tyrannosaurs were probably not semi-aquatic, I
doubt they had fused tongues ala crocs.

hrm...I didn't know that it was the tongue doing that in crocs...I'd thought it was a valve of some sort. (I saw it in action on National Geographic, but the narrator was busy talking about the bite pressures).

They probably just had the typical fleshy tongues seen
in iguanian lizards (barring extreme adaptations),
turtles and carnivorous mammals.

if I might ask, what does 'extreme adaptations' in this case mean?

=====
"I am impressed by the fact that we know less about many modern [reptile] types than we do of many fossil groups." - Alfred S. Romer