Re: "Khermeentsavskayasvita"

Tim Donovan (uwrk2@yahoo.com) wrote:

<I neglected to mention something in the previous post. I've heard of the
"Khermeentsav svita" before but don't know why the term came into being.
The upper white beds at Khermeen Tsav are undoubtdly part of the Nemegt
formation and the middle red beds are Barungoyotian. Barsbold had a better
case for naming other beds the nogoontsavsvita.>

  OK, a word or two (or over 80) about nomenclature in dates and
formations.

  1) the "Barungoyotian" for the Baruun Goyot (or Barun Goyot) plus the
Djadokta faunae is the name for the vertebrate composition of the
formations, but not for the formations they belong to themselves, a
misnomer that I've seen approximated poorly. "Barungoyotian" and
"Nemegtian" are equivalent only when speaking in relative land-vertebrate
ages, as in the Apachean, or Otischalkian, or Lancian, or so forth. Land
Vertebrate Ages follow a different chronology and can be in different
geological ages than those around the world at roughly the same time. For
instance, the Judithian and Nemegtian and Edmontonian are not all
approximate, but they CAN be to a limited extent, just pertain to
different times across the continents based on faunal successions.

  2) The word "gorizont" used elsewhere is a small Russian word meaning
"horizon" and approximates our geological meaning of horizon (a level that
can be approximated elsewhere via lithography or stratigraphic
correllation) and was never meant to be used in its untransliterated form
since it doesn't correspond to a Russian nomenclature distinct on its own.

  3) Many Russian names for Mongolian localities (and in fact for other
Russian localities, indeed), end in "-skaya" [a genetive to some degree]
and "svita" (literally, suite or series) and are not always formal
nomenclature but often refer to informal levels of geological succession,
but do NOT approximation our meaning of "Formations" and can even resemble
our version of "member."

  4) It seems likely that many successional verts and depositional
settings in the Djadokhta to Nemegt formational series (or svita, if you
will) form disparate members, but it is apparently impossible to separate
these into members, given the lack of a clear depositional distinction
from one such series to another in one section that might be classified as
members, so I don't think one can get to splitty about naming sections for
themselves, though this has apparently happened in other expansive
formations, as in the Morrison or Cedar Mountain formations.

  That's enough for now.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden