SVP Ethics Statement re: sale of vertebrate fossils

I'm taking the liberty of  reposting this from the vrtpaleo list. DV

<< The following SVP  Ethics statement on the sale of vertebrate fossils is
posted on behalf of SVP  President Annalisa Berta.

--------------

REGARDING THE SALE OF  FOSSIL VERTEBRATES

The SVP Executive Committee is concerned with reports  about the sale of
vertebrate fossils by some members of SVP.  When  individuals join SVP, they
sign
an agreement to abide by the bylaws of the  Society, including the code of
ethics, which states, "the barter, sale, or  purchase of scientifically
significant vertebrate fossils is not condoned unless  it brings them into or
keeps
them with, a public trust" (Bylaws of SVP, Article  12, Code of Ethics, Section
6).  We are compelled by our Bylaws to enforce  the Code of Ethics.

We wish to make clear our position on this  subject.  As of March 1, 2005, we
have a standing committee to investigate  reported incidents involving the
sale of scientifically significant vertebrate  fossils by SVP members to
destinations other than recognized scientific  organizations.  This committee
will
make a recommendation to the Executive  Committee, including the possible
termination of membership in SVP of those who  fail to abide by the Code of
Ethics.

Annalisa Berta, President  SVP

--

Annalisa  Berta