Re: No Sternum for _Archaeopteryx_

don ohmes wrote-

> Can anyone tell me what the current consensus earliest
>  sternum is?

Well, Xuanhanosaurus' is part of a coracoid (Rauhut, 2000).  Sinraptor's is
probably a fused gastralia mass, since that's what Gorgosaurus' ended up
being.  Baryonyx's might be too, but neither has been examined after the
Gorgosaurus realization.

Late Valanginian-Hauterivian Mei has possible sternal fragments, but the
earliest definite ossified sterna are the Late Hauterivian-Early Barremian
Pelecanimimus and Hauterivian-Barremian Ambiortus.

Of course, we can assume ossified sterna were present in at least the Late
Jurassic (and probably in the Middle Jurassic), since maniraptoriformes had
to originate by then.

Mickey Mortimer
Undergraduate, Earth and Space Sciences
University of Washington