Re: Request: Important papers on the evolution of feathers

Here are a few that I've found helpful:

Sawyer, Roger H. and Knapp, Loren. 2003. Avian Skin
Development and the Evolutionary Origin of Feathers. J
Exp Zool (Mol Dev Evol). 298B: 57-72

Chuong, Cheng-Ming. Chodankar, Rajas. Widelitz,
Randall B. Jiang, Ting-Xin. 2000. Evo-Devo of feathers
and scales: building complex epithelial appendages.
Current Opinion in Genetics & Development. 10: 449-456

Wu, Ping, Hou, Lianhai, Plikus, Maksim, Hughes,
Michael, Scehnet, Jeffrey, Suksaweang, Sanong,
Widelitz, Randall B. Jian, Ting-Xin, and Chuong,
Cheng-Ming. 2004. Evo-Devo of amniote integuments and
appendages. Int. J. Dev. Biol. 48: 249-270

I have the pdfs of all of these. E-mail offlist if
you'd like copies. I also have a few on mammalian and
crocodylian integument formation; if you are looking
for something to compare them to.

Jason

=====