Re: Spinosaurs as what?

I was never a big follower of the "Spinosaurs are
fish-eaters" hypotheses. As Suess et al have pointed
out. They really don't show too many fish eating
adaptations. I kind of viewed the lot as being snatch
hunters (no gutter humour) in line with the more broad
snouted crocodylians (though not quite as violent).
IMHO _Suchomimus_ was the only spinosaur that seemed
to have a jaw developed for a strictly piscivorous
diet (not that we're exactly tripping over spinosaur
skulls here).

--- Renato Santos <dracontes@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Some speculation...
> Perhaps spinosaurs used their big bulk to cast
> shadows on the water to
> attract unwary fish as African black herons do. Even
> that could be an
> additional function for Spinosaurus's big sail.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What would be really nice, would be if someone would
do a study on the role of sails in extant animals
(_Chamaeleo montium_, _Basiliscus_, _Hydrosaurus_).
Admittedly, all these examples are smaller than the
dinosaurs in question (but then, few things weren't).
Still, learning about what these animals use their
sails for, could be a good step to figuring out what
extinct fauna did with theirs. One thing of interest,
for all the lizards mentioned, is that all of them
live in forested areas that are mostly devoid of
direct sunlight. Two of them live near streams. Ah,
what could it all mean?

Jason

=====