Re: The most important fossil discovery in 2004 (your opinions?)

I don't think it's bad preservation that's the issue here - rather, it's
difficulty of interpretation of something that is distinctly short of modern
homologues. The fossils themselves are quite remarkable - especially
considering that in life the animals were probably rather soft baggy blobs.
    For my money (what it's worth), I find it more convincing that the
'posterior cone' is the anus. The structure in the tail is probably a noto-
or stomochord or some other stiffening structure. That such a structure is
ancestral for deuterostomes is indicated by its presence in hemichordates,
the living sister group to echinoderms. If the tail structure is a gut, I
fail to see what the posterior cone could be.

    Cheers,

        Christopher Taylor